Monday, April 21, 2014

Makeup Bags

As a crafty person I give a lot of handmade gifts for Christmas and birthdays. I’m pretty specific about the types of crafts I give as gifts though. If I’m going to go through the work of making something by hand I want the person receiving it to be able to use it and  not just put it somewhere to be forgotten about. This is why all the handmade gifts I give are all practical things that can be used regularly. This past Christmas I made all of my girlfriends a matching set of monogrammed makeup bags. I don’t know of anyone who can’t use another cute storage bag.


I love these bags because they are wider at the bottom, allowing them to stand up and hold more things. To make them extra awesome I used Vinyl Fuse on the lining of them. If you don’t know, Vinyl Fuse is a sheet of vinyl that you can iron on fabric to make it water repellent. It makes the perfect lining for a makeup because it makes it so much easier to clean up the surprise makeup spills we find occasionally. The larger bag also would be great as a bikini bag. The monograming is thanks to my embroidery machine, but you can buy precut fabric letters from most craft stores.


To make these bags I used this tutorial from Craftster. I used her measurements to make the smaller bag and the larger bag I made up my own measurements for.



1 comment: